Monday, January 04, 2016

Major earthquake hits Manipur in India




According to local time, it was 4.36 a.m. early Monday when I was shaken out of my sleep. As I’m having bouts of headache in recent weeks, I thought that the recurring nausea and dizziness had returned. But as my mind cleared, I realized it had nothing to do with my health. It was an #earthquake measuring 6.7 #magnitude, with its epicentre at Noney in Tamenglong district of our state, which hit northeast #India near its border with Myanmar and Bangladesh.


At least five people were killed and 100 injured by falling debris in and around #Imphal, the capital of #Manipur state, police said. Some of my neighbours ran out of their homes, and it was evident that no one has experienced an earthquake of such intensity in the past. Though it lasted only for less than a minute, it has left a trail of destruction all over Manipur.

Strong tremors were also felt in Guwahati, the capital of Assam state. Two of my daughters who are studying in Guwahati reported that many residents ran out of their houses. Though it is still too early to assess the damage and destruction the earthquake has caused, it has wreaked havoc all over the state. Many buildings, including one #Presbyterian church, were razed to the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment

WHAT IS YOUR TAKE ON THIS POST? EXPRESS YOURSELF...